ALA Celebrates 100 Years
By LUAYNE WEISGERBER
The American Legion Auxiliary Unit 7 celebrated the organization’s 100th anniversary earlier this week. The United States and Auxiliary flags and the POW/MIA flag were displayed, along with the Unit Charter and Charter member roster. Unit President Luayne Weisgerber presented a brief program that included reading the names of the charter members and an overview of programs in which the Unit participates.
The Unit charter application was accepted by the National organization on the seventh of September, 1922, and signed by Department President Minnie Freeman Penny on Sept. 17, 1922. Charter members were Leona Baumann, Ellen McNair Beck, Jessie Bradbury, Josephine Burr, Mary Donovan, Nettie Donovan, Florence M. Duncan, Lotus Harris, Zella Johnson, Anna Leavitt, Pearl Lunn, Louise Mallery, Winnie Meyer (who served as Department President in 1937-38), Minnie Morris, Anna Nelson, Loretta Nelson, Nora O’Connor, Helen O’Keefe, Sara O’Keefe, Nora Patrick (who served ad Department President in 1933-34), Belva Tipple, Clara Tipple, Celia Weaver, Laura Weaver, Jennie Williams and Ruby Williams.
The American Legion was chartered by the United States Congress in March 1919, and gave the name “Women’s Auxiliary of The American Legion” in November 1919, which was changed to the American Legion Auxiliary in 1921 at its first National convention. Eligibility membership for both organizations, and the Sons of The American Legion, has been established by the U.S. Congress.